Monday, December 19, 2005

Broadway

Yesterday, Elaine and I spent or shall I say, celebrated her birthday by going to New York. On Friday, she turned the big 3-0. Shhh, but don't tell her I told you! In all seriousness, she has welcomed turning 30.

A few weeks ago, Elaine mentioned going to a Broadway show. We had just seen Rent in the movies, so Elaine wanted to see it on Broadway. We both got addicted to the songs, and decided that it would be a great to go see it as our first Broadway show.

We intially wanted to go after Christmas, but the discount code I found off the net was not being accepted by Ticketmaster the week following Christmas. After all, if I can save $50 off the ticket price, I will make adjustments! The tickets were purchased, train tickets were purchased, and we were ready to go.

Following our Sunday services, we raced home, got changed and sped away to New Haven to catch a train. Fortunately there were no Connecticut State Troopers on I-95! We arrived at our train with 5 minutes to spare. If I had driven the speed limit, we would have missed it, not that I ever do the limit!

After a nice train ride to Grand Central Terminal, we were out on 42nd Street walking towards Times Square. My, has Times Square changed over the years. There are video screens, neon lights absolutely everywhere. Gone are the adult themed parlors which plagued the area. There are large stores and restaurants everywhere. Elaine stopped and said, "Wow, I love this place." We walked around Times Square for a while, grabbed some dinner, and hit Modell's for some Christmas gifts. Soon it was time to make our way to the theater on 41st St.

Upon entering the theater, I was instantly amazed at the size. I imagined it would be much larger, but it was not. It was smaller than the Army's CMT on 14th St. We were in the mezzanine in the center. We had great seats. The band came out as well as the the rest of the company. The show had begun.

We were wowed by the talent of the performers. It was neat to see American Idol outcast Frenchie Davis wail a solo in the musical's anthem, Seasons of Love. My sister text messaged me during the show to call her during the intermission. She wanted to know how it was. I couldn't wait to tell her about it. I don't believe I have a favorite moment from the show, but I do enjoy the songs, Another Day, Seasons of Love, and I'll Cover You Reprise. Musically, it was something unlike anything I have experienced.

Walking out of the theater, I was singing the songs as I walked up 42nd St back to Grand Central to catch our train home. If you live close to New York, you must indulge yourself and enjoy a Broadway show. There are some great shows currently running, and discounts are common.

Five Hundred, Twenty five thousand, six hundred minutes, five Hundred, Twenty five thousand moments so dear, Five Hundred twenty five thousand, six hundred minutes, how do you measure, measure a year?" Opening line from Seasons of Love

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chris,

Which is better, the movie or the show? Joshua's marching band show featured "Seasons of Love," so he's interested in seeing the movie. Of course, living in Virgina, we're not likely to get to NYC any time soon to catch the show. Too bad(:.

I've enjoyed reading your posts. I'll come by from time to time to see what's up.

Love, Aunt Evie

Thursday, December 22, 2005 2:45:00 PM  
Blogger Christian said...

Comparing the movie to the show is like apples and oranges. The show only had one set. You had to use your imagination more to know what was happening then in the movie. That is where seeing the movie definitely helped me understand the plot. To change scenes, they would simply move the tables and chairs to get the desired effect.

I am a huge fan of live music, so I would have to say the show is better than the movie. That being said, the voices in the movie were better, particularly the characters of Roger and Collins.

It was our first Broadway show. We may try to catch The Lion King sometime soon if we can swing it. I would like to have something to compare it to, and I love The Lion King!

Monday, December 26, 2005 2:50:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home