Thursday, January 11, 2007

Officer's Retreat 2007

Elaine and I just returned from Sturbridge, Massachusetts where we enjoyed our second retreat in the Southern New England Division.

Initially some things did not seem right. Almost always, there is snow on the ground as we go to retreat. This was especially true in Northern New England, and was true last year here. As we drove to retreat the temperature was near 50 degrees on the thermometer in our car.

It also seems like we went right from Christmas to Retreat. This was compounded by illness and family visits.

Upon arrival in Sturbridge we quickly got into the swing of things. We registered, got our room, and unloaded the Sienna. However, Elaine soon realized that she was developing Bronchitis!

For her, the few days of Retreat were enjoyable, but her illness was a serious nuisance, and did not allow for her to enjoy her time as much as she should have.

I, on the other hand, had an exceptional time. The first reason is I/we performed in musical groups!

Our division has recently had an influx of energy for brass banding, and I have enjoyed playing once again at Family Camp Meetings and now here at Retreat. I actually felt that I played well. In fact, Elaine and I will be scouring Ebay for some reasonable instruments. I am watching an Euphonium for her right now!

We also were able to sing in a group. I haven't enjoyed singing in an ensemble since my days at the SFOT. Since then, I haven't felt challenged, but I did enjoy myself this week on some beautiful songs that we sung. I was happy to find my pitches finally halfway through the song, "I Know a Fount" today! I am so out of shape!

The guests were top notch as well. Our main speaker was Dr. Katrina Bright Cochran. She is a psychologist who has worked alongside the Army following the events of 9/11. She has spoken to our senior territorial leadership as well as at the SFOT. She was easy to listen to and is clearly a very bright (no pun intended) woman.

Our worship and devotional leaders were Lt. Colonels Lyell and Elaine Rader Jr. (R). I have always enjoyed them since they were on the staff at SFOT. I especially enjoyed Lt. Colonel Lyell's study and sermon on Peter. He entitled it "A Man Goes Far to Find out What He Is" The Saga of Peter. In his usual, highly visual delivery, I felt pulled in to what the Colonel was sharing and truly enjoyed all that was said. I have heard Colonel Rader over the last 10 years of my life, and would have to say, today was the best. Perhaps, I was just especially intuned with what the Spirit had in store for me. I will have to drop the Colonel an email as I didn't get a chance to thank him personally.

All in all it was a great week. I feel bad for my wife with her illness but she came home and got right into the doctors. She now has some high powered medication and should be her usual chipper self in the next day or so.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad your retreat went well. It's nice to hear good speakers present a coherent series of messages.

Friday, January 12, 2007 6:42:00 AM  
Blogger Dave said...

Too bad Elaine could not enjoy the Retreat. I hope she will quickly get back to par.

Friday, January 12, 2007 8:30:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home