Monday, December 18, 2006

Non Traditional Music

Lately for some reason, I have been drawn to music that I have is non traditional in nature. Don't worry, I can't stand hip hop, but when I say non traditional, I mean music that I don't "traditionally" listen to. Here are the two examples.

Trans Siberian Orchestra
I first came across the Trans Siberian Orchestra when I was a subscriber to XM Satellite Radio. I used to listen to channel 23 Holly at Christmas time and TSO was often featured on that channel. Now, I normally would not have paid attention to the artist, but one of the great features of XM is the display which tells you a variety of information including song name and artist.

TSO features traditional holiday music to a rock and roll rhythm. My favorite song by them is Christmas Eve Sarajevo 12/24. It features several well known Christmas carols to a very rock and roll beat. It is a very exciting group and there is something to be said of hearing an electric guitar wail out Carol of the Bells or O Holy Night.

Celtic Woman
Last evening while flipping the channels during the NY Giants debacle against the Philadelphia Eagles, I turned to none other than PBS and discovered 5 women singing awesome harmony to a full orchestra in front of a British Castle. The song was Orinoco Flow made popular by Enya, but these ladies were very impressive. The orchestra and rhythm section was also impressive. I went to their website today and read some background information on them and that they will be at Mohegan Sun in March. I think I will have to save my money. I love hearing women sing harmony and 5 part harmony is even more beautiful. As a teenager, I used to love the group Wilson Phillips. The three members of that group had great harmony and I still listen to their first hit, "Hold On" These women of Celtic Woman are very talented and what started as a one night concert now has a global fan base. I went to itunes today and downloaded their debut album and am listening to it now as type this.

Non traditional music rocks! Pun intended!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like TSO. I also like Mannheim Steamroller. I've never heard Celtic Women. I'll have to check them out.

Monday, December 18, 2006 10:12:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like TSO. I also like Mannheim Steamroller. I hear them on XM a lot at this time of year. They've got some great arrangements! I've never heard of the Celtic Women. I really enjoy close vocal harmonies.

Monday, December 18, 2006 10:14:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like TSO. I also like Mannheim Steamroller. I hear them on XM a lot at this time of year. They've got some great arrangements! I've never heard of the Celtic Women. I really enjoy close vocal harmonies.

Monday, December 18, 2006 10:15:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like TSO. I also like Mannheim Steamroller. I hear them on XM a lot at this time of year. They've got some great arrangements! I've never heard of the Celtic Women. I really enjoy close vocal harmonies.

Monday, December 18, 2006 10:16:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home