Wednesday, January 28, 2009

President Obama Calls out School Cancellations

I read this off the NY Daily News Website and got a kick out of it.

At a Roosevelt Room meeting today with business leaders to press his economic stimulus plan, Obama couldn't resist verging off script to suggest that "some flinty Chicago toughness" might be in order to deal with the Capital's first icestorm of the winter.
"My children's school was canceled today, because of what? Some ice," Obama said, as the room erupted in laughter.
"As my children pointed out, in Chicago, school is never canceled," he continued in amazement. "In fact, my 7-year-old pointed out that you'd go outside for recess in weather like this. You wouldn't even stay indoors."
Asked if he were calling Washingtonians weather wusses, Obama gleefully responded: "I'm saying that when it comes to the weather, folks in Washington don't seem to be able to handle things."
Today most if not all schools in Connecticut were closed and for what? We had a couple of inches of snow, followed by 15 minutes of sleet then rain for the remainder of the day. My driveway is down to the wet pavement already and the snow is melting off the roof of the van in my driveway. My kids didn't have school today due to a teacher's professional day, but I expect today would have been a snow day for them as well.
I can relate to what the President is saying. More often then not, snowdays are a joke! My sister went to high school in Erie, PA. I think she had one snowday in 4 years! She went to school with serious lake effect snow! Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if my kids have a delay tomorrow because the rain will freeze and their may be black ice in spots, but the roads will be more than passable! Our school buses here even have the automatic tire chains, but for what!?!?!? They never drive in the snow!
I just think there is some serious over reacting when it comes to this, and I am glad our President thinks so too!

3 Comments:

Blogger Evie said...

Jonathan and Joshua got a kick out of the snow day phenomenon when we moved to DC. They never had a snow day in 7 years in Canada and only 1 or 2, if any in Iowa. Joshua actually didn't like getting too many snow days, because those days had to be made up by taking away holidays and delaying the close of school in June.

Thursday, January 29, 2009 6:04:00 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

Snow days are a laugh. I remember that when we were living in KY that school boards started announcing that they would be closed the next day due to snow. There was a 50% of snowfall that night so they decided to call school off. It never did snow, but as the announcement was made, the schools were closed.

Friday, January 30, 2009 10:15:00 PM  
Blogger Josh said...

I always did like snow days, just not TOO many of them. In Fairfax we were allowed the first 3 didn't need to be made up. But thanks to using them all up and then some my 7th grade year, we had to go to school on President's Day. However, that weekend there was a really big storm, and I think something like about a foot or so of snow fell, and school was canceled for the whole week. We ended up having so many snow days that year (I think a total of 9 or 10) that we ended up having an extra 30 minutes of class added every day for a 3-4 week period to make up the lost time instead of having school go until July 1 or around there.

But I always did enjoy the occasional snow day, as long as I didn't have to make it up.

Friday, January 30, 2009 11:21:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home