Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Red to Blue...

Over the past few years, I have felt some subtle changing in my overall political thought process. I don't know what has spurned this on, but I have been more open to thinking more moderately and less along my traditional party line that has been established since the late 80s and eary 90s.

Two years ago, I supported Senator Joe Liebermann (I) for US Senate here in Connecticut. At the time, I thought I was beginning to shift my thinking. Senator Liebermann lost the Democratic primary and decided to run as an independent. He defeated both the democratic nominee and the republican nominee and despite his war record and his support of Senator John McCain's Presidential campaign, still caucuses with democrats. This was the beginning of my change in ideology.

While on vacation this year, I decided that I needed a good book to read and read Barack Obama's Audacity of Hope. In reading this book, it became clear that this man has what it takes to be our leader, and our advocate. I was encouraged and uplifted as I read the pages on the sands of Rehoboth. I was not completely convinced, but I thought, "gee, I might vote for this guy."

For the past 2 months, I have been going back and forth as to who would earn my vote for President. Last evening I decided on Senator Barack Obama. I believe as Secretary Powell has said that Senator Obama is "transformational figure." I believe that he is the man that we need as leader in these uncertain times both on the domestic and foreign sides. My fear would be a McCain Presidency would be a continuation of the Bush mess, and this is from a man who voted for Bush twice! It was very evident that the "maverick" McCain was lost to the Republican establishment.

While I don't agree with Senator Obama on every issue, I do believe that he can provide the healing and despite the challenges will put his best foot forward in making America a better place.

So today, I was proud to fill that circle in for Senator Barack Obama for President and Senator Joe Biden for Vice President. Incidentally, I also voted democrat for my congressman as he has done a fine job securing appropriations for additional submarine production which is a crucial aspect to our local economy.

I guess the title fits...this registered Republican has shifted to blue.

5 Comments:

Blogger Evie said...

I'm not an Obamaniac by any means, but I believe that he's got what it takes to provide the thoughtful leadership that the USA needs right now.

Tuesday, November 04, 2008 7:43:00 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

Thank you for allowing us to glimps your evolution in thinking.

Tuesday, November 04, 2008 7:55:00 PM  
Blogger Stephen said...

Hi Christian, congratulations to you and your countrymen for the bold and enlightened decision you made as a nation! As Canadians, if we were able to vote in your election, we would have voted 5 to 1 for Obama.
Even though we just held our own federal election the other week and voted to retain our Conservative government, compared to even the Democratic party, it is still left of centre of your own liberal leaning Democrats.
Remember, "Yes we can!"

Thursday, November 06, 2008 12:43:00 AM  
Blogger Dotti said...

There's one more step, Chris: Get rid of that Republican registration card! :)

Tuesday, November 11, 2008 2:59:00 PM  
Blogger Christian said...

I was going to change my affiliation for the primary so I could vote for Obama, but it was too late to do so. Crazy laws!!!

Tuesday, November 11, 2008 9:10:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home