Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Johnny Damon


Last night I received a text message from Tracy at 11:00 PM. It said, "Yankee news, call me." I immediately got on the phone and expected it to be something about Johnny Damon.

She answered her phone and said, "Johnny Damon is a Yankee." I expected that this might happen, but hearing it was definitely surprising. Johnny Damon was, and note the word was, the chief idiot on the Boston Red Sox. That was his description not mine. He was known as the Caveman, or Jesus for his long locks of hair, and his beard. He has now crossed over baseball's Jordan River and came to the promised land. He will lose his long hair, and his beard in accordance with George Steinbrenner's grooming policies. Upon passing his physical the contract will be finalized and a press conference will be called to officially give him his pinstripes.

Now a couple of things are interesting to note. The Red Sox already called a press conference in which team President Larry Lucchino said, that nothing is finalized. He along with the "deer in the headlights" teen twin General Managers of the Sox sounded as if the Yankees have personally removed their hearts. Well Johnny was on WBZ Channel 4 in Boston refering the the Yankeees in the context of we. This sounds pretty definitive to me!

This is a major blow to the Red Sox. With Spring Training some 60 or so days away, they have no starting first baseman, short stop, and center fielder. They have an additional outfielder that has demanded a trade, but due to the size of his contract, Manny Ramirez will most likely be miserable in left field at Fenway this year. Perhaps he will spend more time listening to his I-Pod while fielding and taking more rests in the Green Monster!

How do I feel about all of this? I will have to say that as a Red Sox player, I disliked Johnny Damon the least. I always thought he played the game well, unlike team Captain Jason Varitek who picks a fight with all of his catcher's gear on, including his mask. I look forward to welcoming him when I go to my first Yankee game this next season on April 18th in Toronto. I think that his presence in the lineup will further fortify the Yankees lineup. Derek Jeter can return to the 2 hole and we can have Sheffield, A-Rod, Matsui and Giambi as our 3-4-5-6 batters! What a lethal punch! I noted from a hit chart that Damon hits to all areas of the field and should do very well hitting at Yankee Stadium. The Yankees are clearly better today than they were at the close of the 2005 season.

Your attention please...ladies and gentlemen, now batting for the Yankees, the center fielder, #18, Johnny Damon.---Mr. Bob Sheppard voice of Yankee Stadium.

Welcome to New York Johnny!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let's not allow Bernie Williams re-signing to get lost in the excitement over the Damon signing. As happy as I am that we acquired Damon, in my opinion--signing Bernie was just as imperative. He's a good bat off the bench, a quality player (still!), and a great guy...a yankee for life. Let's just hope that come late October, that Yankee fans everywhere are celebrating a 27th World Series title. :-)

Wednesday, December 21, 2005 9:55:00 PM  
Blogger Christian said...

Bernie has always been one of my favorites. Total Class 100%. It is great to know we will be seeing him around wearing #51 for another year.

Thursday, December 22, 2005 9:52:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home