Monday, October 23, 2006

Christmas in October!

This week will be an interesting week! I, myself, just me am taking three days of vacation this week. I am going to Lancaster County, PA to visit my grandparents. I will join my parents there for a short visit. It is always fun to get to Lancaster County and step back a hundred years and see houses without electricity, horse and buggies, and road apples. It will be interesting traveling from Mystic country Connecticut, an area built in the maritime tradition (whaling, ship building, submarines) to Lancaster and seeing the transformation to the "heartland" and everything in between. I just hope that I-95 and the Merritt Parkway aren't too jammed. I figure I-287 will be! Since I will be alone, I will drive fast, blare music, and take in all of the scenery.

After returning home on Friday, we will immediately get in the car, turn around and head to Waterbury for our Officers Christmas Party. For the non Salvation Army readers that translates into corporate or company christmas party. What is so funny about this trip is not only the fact that I spent three years of my life in Waterbury, but the venue for the party is none other then the hotel formerly known as the Waterbury Sheraton Hotel. It is now called the Connecticut Grand Hotel. You may be asking...why is this significant?...what are you setting up for? My junior prom was held in this hotel, probably in the same ballroom we will have our party in!

It is amazing how life sometimes comes full circle. On Friday evening, if it isn't too dark when we arrive, I look forward to driving the family past all of my former stomping ground, our house, my school, and who knows what else! I haven't been off of I-84 in Waterbury except to get a meal at Frankies...a great gourmet fast food joint, in 11 years since participating in a friend's wedding. I haven't lived there in 15 years, so it will be great to see how much the neighborhood has changed.

6 Comments:

Blogger Evie said...

You realize, of course, that you will be celebrating Christmas several days before Halloween! That strikes me as just a bit odd.

Monday, October 23, 2006 9:55:00 PM  
Blogger Christian said...

Yes I know...In Northern New Englad we always had it in November prior to the start of kettles, and it was in beautiful North Conway, New Hampshire.

Every morning we awoke and looked at the window at snow capped Mt. Washington.

Tuesday, October 24, 2006 10:07:00 AM  
Blogger Evie said...

I love New Hampshire and Vermont. Those states are my favorite part of New England.

Wednesday, October 25, 2006 12:37:00 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

What is the issue? Retailers are starting Christmas earlier and earlier. In early October I noticed many retailers were putting out their Christmas decorations at the same time as Halloween supplies. In a few years retailers will be starting Christmas sales in August along side back to school sales.

Then DHQ can have its Christmas party at camp in August, have a BBQ and everyone then can go swimming as others sit around singing "I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas." It will all be a great hoot.

Sunday, October 29, 2006 7:39:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Back when you lived in Waterbury I bet you would have never guessed an Officers Christmas party would bring you back to that hotel. Not sure about you but back then I had no clue about what I would be doing at this point in my life. Now I take so much comfort in knowing that God knew all along and I marvel at the little gems he has left for us to find along the way.

Tuesday, October 31, 2006 1:08:00 PM  
Blogger Christian said...

Brent,

It was weird going back to Waterbury. I drove past my old house and it looks a little different. The shrubs my mom planted are 6ft tall. The work we had done 17 years ago looks aged. They realigned Hamilton Avenue at the bottom of East Mountain. I almost went into the shoulder because of that, but hey it was a rainy nasty night...hard to see!

Crosby looks really ghetto. I drove Elaine and the kids by and Elaine was unimpressed.

You are right though, who would have thought!

Tuesday, October 31, 2006 6:52:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home