Friday, April 27, 2007

Yankee Game--Postponed

On Wednesday afternoon, I departed the sunny skies of Norwich at about 1:00 for New York...specifically the Bronx. On my way, I was stopping in Trumbull to pick up a friend who shares my love of the team that resides at 161st St. and River Avenue in the Bronx. The Yankees were hosting the Toronto Blue Jays. I was excited to see the Yanks play the Jays as they have a good team, and I have seen the Jays and Yanks at the Rogers Center. (oops I mean Centre for my Canadian friends)



When I exited the Merritt Parkway in Trumbull, I noticed that the sky was looking rather ominous. I began to get a little worried. I picked up my friend, and we continued our trek down the Merritt, to the Hutch (Hutchison River Parkway), to the Cross County, to the Deegan South. Those are all nicknames for the various highways. By the time we got to the stadium the clouds had thickened considerably. We parked and went into Stan's, a sportsbar that Lou Gehrig used to frequent. I grabbed a burger as I anticipated enjoying a Stadium hot dog a few hours later. Soon the hour approached for the stadium to open. With tickets in hand we proceeded to section 333. Our seats were in the right field homerun porch. I was totally excited as I may have the chance to catch a home run. Here is the view from our seats. The tarp was a sign of things to come.
After a little while of having some conversation, my friend told me to go to Monument Park. I hadn't been there since the late 80s. A lot has changed out there, and some monuments were added since I last was there. Here are some pics.After my visit to monument park, I was walking back to the other side of the stadium, I heard the voice of legendary Yankee PA announcer Bob Shepard come on the loudspeaker. I was thinking, "its too early to make general announcements." He of course said that the game was postponed. After driving 130 miles, paid $14 to park my car, I was dissappointed, but there is good that can come out of this. The Yankee Bullpen can get some much needed rest!


I was back in the car at 6:15 and of course thousands if not millions of other people were on the highways exiting NYC and heading toward Westchester and Connecticut, so getting home took much longer. I got home around 9:30. It was a long day for nothing, but the good news is my tickets are good for the make up game. The unfortunate thing is that has yet to be announced. I just hope it doesn't conflict with anything on my schedule.

2 Comments:

Blogger Stephen said...

GO JAYS! GO!

Friday, April 27, 2007 8:13:00 PM  
Blogger Evie said...

Rainouts are a bummer. Domed stadiums are pretty cool because rain is never an issue. We used to enjoy traveling from Winnipeg to Minneapolis to take in a weekend series without worrying about weather.

I haven't been to Monument Park. We'll have to make a point of visiting it if we get back to Yankee Stadium again. Thanks for sharing the photos.

Tuesday, May 01, 2007 6:40:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home