Sunday, January 06, 2008

Election 2008

The last 72 hours have been exciting for me. For the past few months, I have been on the fence regarding the Presidential candidates. None of them have really excited me. I recently had a change of heart.


Since I was 18, I have voted Republican. I was incredibly excited that there was a presidential election the year of my 18th birthday. That year, especially after the success of Gulf War I, I chose to vote for George Bush 41, despite the temptation to pull the handle for Ross Perot. I still have enormous respect for Bush 41 and have met him and his lovely wife Barbara.


The next election, I was at the SFOT, and at the time did not feel the need to file an absentee ballot. The 2000 and 2004 elections changed this philosophy! I also was not excited about President Clinton, nor Senator Dole. I just could not get into the 1996 election.


When 2000 came along, I was on the fence at least as far as the Republicans were concerned. I really liked the honesty of Senator McCain. I think I even voted for him in the Primary. However my support of him was eventually shifted to then Governor George W. Bush.


Like many other right wingers, I was irritated when I heard of the pranks that the Clinton White House did on inauguration day. I was a die hard republican, and how could those Clinton's be so immature? I thought that Bush 43 would be a good President, and like many others, seeing him in action in the days immediately following 9/11/01, I thought I am glad we have this guy and not the other guy.


However, in the last 6 years, things have changed. Our country has become incredibly polarized more so than in the Clinton years. We are now identified by the states we live in. For the past 10 years, I have lived in two blue states. We even refer to ourselves specifically as right or left, conservative or liberal, or even moderate. I dream of day where right and left sing God Bless America together for a good reason rather than a terrible terrorist attack. We are all freedom loving Americans after all.

All of this leads me to my initial statement regarding a change of heart. As I look at the Republican candidates, none of them excite me. I used to like Senator McCain, but that was 8 years ago, and he is now 71 years old. He would be older than Ronald Reagan when he was elected in 1981.

I am no longer on the fence. I am supporting Senator Barack Obama for President. I believe that the Senator will bring healing to our nation. He is open to healing our image both domestically and around the world. I particularly was swayed following the Iowa Caucuses as I watched his speech. In my mind, he seems very Presidential. On Friday, I began researching the various candidates and was immediately impressed with what I found out on Senator Obama. He has been honest about his past, and he has worked in the trenches to help the poor on the south side of Chicago. His father came to the US from Kenya, and I believe his mother is from Kansas. I cannot recall specifically because I have read so much in the last few days!!! His rivals attack his lack of experience, but lets look at his rivals experience. Senator Edwards (whom I like) was a one term Senator and lawyer prior to that. Senator Clinton was first lady for 8 years and a term and a half Jr. Senator from New York. Sure she has legal experience, but she has not been without scandals of her own. I believe that Washington needs an out with the old and in with the new philosophy. Last night in the debates when Senator Clinton was attacking her rivals, Senator Edwards spoke up and said, "look at this, when you go against the status quo you are attacked." He went on, "When Senator Clinton was ahead, she didn't attack, now look." That of course is a rough paraphrase, I can't recall specifics. I personally think he is aligning himself with Senator Obama hoping to find a place possibly on the ticket. He is a young man himself and has a bright future ahead of him.

So there you have it. A lifetime conservative has crossed over to the "other side." In the days ahead, I will be changing my party affiliation so that I can vote for Senator Obama in the Super Duper Tuesday Primary. I have also registered on Obama's website, and perhaps in a few weeks, will order a bumper sticker.

To quote Rocky Balboa in Rocky IV..."I guess what I'm trying to say is, if I can change, and you can change, everybody can change"

Change is good...Barack Obama for President

5 Comments:

Blogger Evie said...

Good post. Unfortunately, the Republican party is not what it used to be. I've leaned Democratic in the USA and Liberal in Canada for a long time. Still, I would prefer to have a less shrill, extremist Republican party in the mix. I also would like to see a credible third party that would help keep the Big-2 in line.

Monday, January 07, 2008 12:03:00 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

Every party has its tensions with people on both extremes. For the most part the Dems have worked for justice and equality whereas the Republicans have been unduly dominated by the fundamentalist and evangelical churches. Items have been sold in Bible book stores that portray Bush in the mold of Lincoln. Christians are told to follow him because he is a Christians. The same message is being communicated about Huckabee. Just because a person testifies to being born again should not be the primary basis for voting for or against him.

As noted in a post this past summer, Bush has damaged the Church's witness more than any other President. To say that he is responsible for the damage would be incorrect. The damage has been done by the evangelical and fundamentalists leaders who continue to support him and refuse to speak out on wrongs this administration has clearly committed. These religious leaders have played politics instead of speaking to both parties, and in the end bring distain upon the church.

Monday, January 07, 2008 9:58:00 PM  
Blogger Stephen said...

Interesting post. Your journey in transitioning your support from one party to another seems to be part of a wave that seems to be building across the States. I like your opinions. It's exciting to see such a fresh alternative on the scene.
I find viewing American politics from the side line facinating. It is a complicated process to an outsider like myself and mystery about the extent of how entrenched party loyalties are within the States.
I have been impressed by Obama. A fresh face, new ideas and approach is always good. He seems to be likeable - but I am wary about the Oprah enterprise and her overt support of his bid. It can smack of the overt support of some of the Evangelical Christians who have tainted the faith by equating Christianity with the republican party leading perhaps to a role in the polarization of American society.

In recent years, shifting party support in Canada has become the norm. Much of the country changes party support with just about every provincial or federal election. The acception would be the electorate of Alberta - they are entrenched in their support of the provincial and federal conservatives. They have built a political wall around Alberta. Many Albertans would make good republicans. Sometimes I feel like I live in Montana.
We have four main parties in the Federal parliament with the Green party up and coming. Having a multiple number of parties, makes for a parliament more fluid and at times more co-operative with one another. Right now there is no dominant party in power so it takes the co-operation of two lesser parties working with the leading party (who has the most seats) to keep the government going forward. It's called a minority parliament. Everyone has to work together or the government falls and then there is another election - and no party wants to take the blame for an unwanted election.

Tuesday, January 08, 2008 2:14:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome to the good side! In all seriousness, I agree with so much of what you said. While I have never voted for a major Republican candidate (save the one insane moment when I was 18 and voted for McConnell), I agree that the last 8 years have really changed the dynamics of our country. As a Dem living in a red state, I am irritated that folks assume I am Republican because I am from Kentucky.

So, good post and cast that vote with some extra umph for those of us in a state whose primary won't matter! :(

And get that bumper sticker! Mine is so old it's faded already!

Tuesday, January 08, 2008 10:14:00 AM  
Blogger Evie said...

Krista voted for McConnell?!? Shame on you! Double shame on you! Well, we'll just chalk it up to youthful indiscretion and inexperience.

Thursday, January 10, 2008 8:40:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home