Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Family

At this time of the year, we focus a lot on family. I can recall as a child all coming together as a family for the holidays. This was especially true following the passing of my Grandpa in 1983. It seemed we were all very close for those couple years before and after his Promotion to Glory. My cousin Krista and I were more like brother and sister than cousins at that time. We saw each other so much!

Now adulthood is here, and I have a family of my own. There is a loving wife, two great kids, a Brittany dog, a tiger cat, all getting a piece of my love. Over these last few days, we have grown together even more as a family. The joy of opening gifts, and yes, putting together those gifts, have made us close. It is such a joy to hear my son and daughter come to me with an innocence in their voices with the plea, "daddy, can you open this for me?" The only dreadful part is putting together the toys with less then perfect directions! You parents of young children can probably relate.

Even with extended family, modern technology has made it so easy to keep in touch. Today we have e-mail, cell phones, text messaging, and yes, even blogs. Today with the assault that seems to be taking place against the family, it is now easier than ever to keep in touch with ones family.

My challenge to you this day is to enjoy your family, and to get in touch with your family. You will find some more joy this holiday season, I can guaratee it!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the notes on "Family." I know in many branches of The Salvation Army the week between Christmas and New Year's Day is a time to slow down and catch one's breath after a frantic Christmas season.

The ARC branch, however, keeps rolling right through New Year's. In fact, the last week of December is definitely our busiest time of year. And since Christmas fell on a Sunday this year, that day was exceptionally busy too.

So, our family time will really take place this weekend. Weird, I know.

Enjoy the weekend with your family, as I will enjoy mine.

Saturday, December 31, 2005 5:56:00 PM  
Blogger Christian said...

I have noticed the ARC must be busy. The little bit that I was at the corps this week, a lot of donations for the ARC came in. Everyone wanted their receipts for tax deductions!

Have a happy New Year!

Saturday, December 31, 2005 9:59:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home