Sunday, September 03, 2006

Labor Day Reflections

Tomorrow is Labor Day...the end of summer. For some this is an end, for others it is a start. As a child I used to get Labor Day and Memorial Day confused. However, I knew that I usually was at either Camp Ladore, Camp Allegheny or Camp Connri on Labor Day. Those times have changed and now the Army typically has its Camp Meetings the week before Labor Day. I believe this is an effort to boost attendance. I still refer to the camp meetings occasionally as Labor Day Camp.

Over the years, I have reflected on what Labor Day means to me. This was more evident for me 5 years ago last week, when I drove from Maine to Florida. It was a reflection on what a great country this is, and the various industries, past, present and future, as well as those who work in those industries, that have made America great.

My journey began in Sanford, Maine, and as I crossed the Piscataqua River from Maine and New Hampshire, I looked to my left and saw the city of Portsmouth. Portsmouth is an old ship building and fishing community that has made a definite stamp on our country. Countless naval vessels were built at the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard. A yard that was recently saved in the latest round of BRAC closures. Men have fished in the waters off Portsmouth for ages to the areas of Skellwagen Bank and Jeffrey's Ledge for Cod and Haddock and other tasty fish.

My journey continued down to I-495 and the communties of Lawrence and Lowell, Massachusetts. The Merrimack valley as it is known. When crossing the Merrimack, there are textile mills that seem to go on forever. These textiles were instrumental throughout our history.

As I continued to Connecticut, I passed East Hartford, home of Pratt & Whitney, and then Hartford, home to Colt Firearms. These defense contractors are necessary to make America the super power it is today. I believe that Pratt & Whitney's logo is Dependable Engines.

I soon crossed the Hudson and contined south on the New Jersey Turnpike. I looked out my window and glanced at the skyline on Manhattan. The Empire State building glistened in the distance. I recalled the images of Life Magazine of men walking across beams several hundred feet above 34th Street as the bolted the beams together. I also glanced at the financial district where the WTC towers shined as beacons. I never would have dreamt at the time that would have been one of my last glimses of the great buidlings. They were destroyed on 9/11 a couple of weeks later.

We continued through Philadelphia, then Wilmington...home of Dupont, then Baltimore and Washington. The history of those few cities is too numerous to write in this blog!

As I drove, morning soon rose and I was immersed in the deep south. Richmond, Virginia and the smell of Tobacco soon filled the van. As I drove into the Carolina's cotton fields dotted the horizon. I was reminded of the slaves that once filled those fields and the oppression that they lived under. I wondered if the abandoned building along the highway once housed slaves or were perhaps part of the plantations. I said a quick prayer thanking the Lord that slavery was abolished.

It was a long drive, but after a nights stay in Savannah, Georgia, we made it to Florida. Like NBC's "must see tv" if you drive to Florida, you must stop at the welcome center for orange juice.

Upon arrival in the Orlando area, I was amazed at the progress that has taken place there in my lifetime. Who would have thought when Walt Disney bought 43 square miles of property that it would develop that area into what it is now. I imagine the amount of Labor, and dollars is staggering to think about in that context.

Happy Labor Day! Enjoy the holiday

2 Comments:

Blogger Evie said...

The east coast is rich in history. Laborers of all sorts, free and slave, have played important roles in shaping our culture. Thanks for the reminder.

Tuesday, September 05, 2006 10:08:00 AM  
Blogger Christian said...

Yes, that trip really made me think about the great diversity of industry and our culture. I think part of the reason is I drove straight through, so there were changes quite frequently geographically, and geologically.

Although, I am looking forward to seeing those same sights from 40,000 ft and only taking 2 hours and 50 minutes on Friday!

Tuesday, September 05, 2006 10:09:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home