Friday, August 11, 2006

Tivo

For the past year or so, I have contemplated purchasing a Tivo device for our family. I have heard nothing but great things about them, and after trying to set an old VCR to record with no remote, I decided to research Tivo more intensely. The Tivo company basically began the DVR or digital recording concept. The Tivo is basically a computer for your tv. You can record programs, pause and stop live tv as you are watching it. It is truly unique!

Tracy called me from Best Buy a week or so ago, and I had her look around to see how much a Tivo cost. I was expecting a few hundred dollars, so I was thinking "family Christmas Gift." She told me she couldn't find them anywhere in the store, so I jumped on the internet really quick and went to http://www.tivo.com and decided to see what I could come up with. As soon as the page loaded I saw a banner ad that said the Tivo box was free with a one year service contract. I clicked on the ad thinking that the service had to be paid in full for the year. Imagine my surprise when I saw that all that I needed was $12.95 to acquire my new Tivo box!

I set everything up and soon I had an email confirmation that the Tivo was on the way. These devices are amazing! It came via UPS today, and I set it up immediately. Following a half hour setup, we were up and running with our new family toy.

This evening, I got into an episode of Star Trek The Next Generation on Spike TV. It was an episode that I don't believe I have ever seen. It featured Famke Jannsen as a guest star, and I think she is just great! As the show was wrapping up, so was my dinner on the grill. It was great to be able to "rewind" the show and watch the last few minutes several minutes after it "ended." As I type this, I am Tivoing Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets for Jay, and it iis set to record Battlestar Galactica at 2:00 am tomorrow morning.

Don't you just love technology!

3 Comments:

Blogger Evie said...

Yeah, technology is fun and convenient. I'm gonna do a post about it on my blog tomorrow.

Friday, August 11, 2006 10:37:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome to the TiVo cult. :-)

Monday, August 14, 2006 12:44:00 AM  
Blogger Dave said...

I owed 100 shares of TiVo until about a year ago...sold it after a 20% gain in 6 months and go out before the price dropped. It is interesting technology.

Monday, August 14, 2006 9:40:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home