Friday, February 02, 2007

Happy Groundhog Day!

Today is February 2nd and you know what that means...its Groundhog Day! Having lived four years of my life in Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania, this day means a little bit more to me than others.

Well today, Punxsutawney Phil did not see his shadow. That means that spring is just around the corner. I guess Phil is conscious of this crazy weather the Northeast has been having.

Punxsutawney is truly a unique community. It is about 65 miles northeast of Pittsburgh, and its population is around 6,100. That is down from the 7500 that lived there 20 years ago when I did. The groundhog truly is the centerpiece of town. In addtion to having a climate controlled den in the library/civic complex, Phil's image is all over town. The local school sports teams are the Punxsutawney Chucks. One of the shopping plazas is Groundhog Plaza. If I remember correctly, the logo for the main volunteer fire department in town is an image of a groundhog with a fireman's hat, holding a hose. Despite its quirkiness, it is a great place to raise a family.

I occasionally keep tabs as to what is going on in Punxsy by reading its newspaper online. Not unlike many other small towns, I still to this day read about people that I knew 20 years ago. The same people are doing the same things...they are just older.

So today...here's to you Punxsy and Punxsy Phil! This Connecticut Yankee salutes you.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

An early spring looks good when I see the weather for this weekend.

Friday, February 02, 2007 5:38:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Phil's prognostication's pleasing. I'm ready for spring.

P.S. - When are you going to switch to Blogger Beta?

Friday, February 02, 2007 5:53:00 PM  
Blogger Christian said...

I tried today. It said that they are currently limiting the people who can upgrade and to check back soon.

Friday, February 02, 2007 7:31:00 PM  
Blogger Christian said...

I did it! What do you think? I am trying to "pimp" up my page a bit.

Friday, February 02, 2007 8:25:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home