Thursday, July 10, 2008

July Vacation--Part One

On Sunday evening following our Sunday services we departed Connecticut for the hills of upstate NY to hook up with Elaine's parents before setting out for our first vacation of the summer season.

For the last few years, Elaine has wanted to go visit her mothers family in the Watertown area of New York State. For all of this time, I expected that we were going to Watertown. When I was programming the GPS on Monday morning, I was concerned when the device could not find the street address. Would you know, that we were not going to Watertown, but Alexandria Bay. Now just the sound of that, sounds much more like a vacation. Nothing against Watertown, NY, but Alexandria Bay has a much nicer ring to it. When we arrived at Alexandria Bay, I knew we were far north. We exited the last exit prior to the bridge to Canada! Shortly after arriving at Elaine's cousins home, we ventured down to the riverfront and I was very impressed with this little town. It had a unique resort feel and seeing the watercraft on the St. Lawrence River got me excited. I even saw a few classic wood motorboats. I would sooooo love to have one of those!

The kids went swimming, but instead, I looked around. I looked across the American Channel at the legendary Boldt Castle. I ventured downtown to check out the various shops. I really felt like I was on vacation, and I was excited to see this part of the country I have never been.

All in all we had a great time. We enjoyed a 2 nation tour on the river, we ate really good courtesy of Judy and Bill's cooking, and the weather even cooperated despite a very late evening Thuderstorm.
I would like to return to this area of the country again in the next couple of years. Next time with a passport in hand so I can cross the border to Canada and check out that side of the St. Lawrence.

Oh and by the way, Jay is so proud he has a license to drive an Uncle Sam Tour Boat up to 100 tons, and "he is only six!" Those latter and very former are his exact words! Please see the pictures attached of our vacation.
We will be leaving for a short vacation to Maine on Sunday evening to stay in the Cove House on Sebago Lake.

2 Comments:

Blogger Evie said...

The Thousand Islands area is lovely. We spent some time there a few years ago - on the Canadian side.

Having lived in Winnipeg and traveled to places like Edmonton, Alberta and Flin Flon, Manitoba, I had a good laugh over your description of upstate NY as the "far north." Cute.

Friday, July 11, 2008 6:52:00 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

We too love the area. I love camping in the north. Cool nights and warm days.

Monday, July 14, 2008 10:48:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home