Thursday, May 01, 2008

First Night in 39

After a great time in Pittsburgh at our Territorial Development Conference, I made a stop on the way home at the Stadium in the Bronx for my first of 8 Yankee Games.

Some of you may recall previous posts indicating my Christmas Gift of a E Ticket License at Yankee Stadium. Each ticket is only a few dollars more than a movie, so it is a great deal.

Upon arriving in the Bronx, and taking a quick peek at the new stadium across the street, I went into the stadium to see the Yanks wrap up batting practice. I was just getting ready to go up the tunnel to the seats, when a ball rolled down the tunnel. I was able to scoop it up and claim it for my own! I have been going to ball games for nearly 30 years, and have never got a ball. I later found out that the ball was hit by Johnny Damon, left fielder for the Yankees. While standing there and talking to other fans, I noticed that Joba Chamberlain was horsing around in front of us. Everyone was asking for a ball, so I thought, let me say something that may get a response. Joba's father, Harlan was just released from the hospital, so I yelled to Joba, "how's your dad Joba?" Joba looked at me and said, "he's doing good," and gave me a thumbs up. I returned the thumb's up and said, "thats great." It was great to have the player interaction. Yankee's closer, Mariano Rivera, my favorite Yankee was play CF during BP and having a ball. He is quite the fielder I might add. Mo even would yell, "heads up" to the fans in the seats when a home run ball was coming their way. He is truly a class act.

After grabbing a hot dog and a coke, I settled in my seat and got acquainted with the fans around me that will be sitting around me for the season. We had some great discussions about how we feel about the current state of the Yankees. Soon it was time for the game to get going.

Shortly after the Yankees took the field, and the National Anthem, a fellow Bleacher Creature named "Bald Vinny" started a clapping motion which signfiied the start of the roll call. I was on my feet and joined the chorus of applause. Vinny then motioned the group to be quiet, and yelled, "Yooooooooooooo Melllllllllkkyyyy (Melky Cabrera). At which time we all chanted, "Melky, Melky" until he turned, waved and acknowledged us. This was repeated to all defensive positions except for pitcher and catcher. Below is a video of this year's Opening Day Roll Call.

Things were pretty settled until the 8th inning or so, when people started to leave. Then the regular creatures had a little fun and got a little rowdy. It was a lot of fun to see and hear the interactions.

Despite the Yankee loss, the cold game time temperature and wind, it was a fun night at the ballpark. My next game will be May 22nd and my dad will be joining me in 39. It should be a lot of fun!

2 Comments:

Blogger Evie said...

I think you're going to have great season, regardless of what the Yanks may accomplish on the field.

Saturday, May 03, 2008 1:51:00 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

Have a great summer with your new community.

Sunday, May 04, 2008 10:15:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home