Sunday, September 20, 2009

New Camera--Trip to New York

For the past year or so I have kicked around the notion of getting a new camera. I guess it comes from using my neighbors camera and being impressed with it. Her camera is a very high end Sony point and shoot with a nice digital zoom.

While sitting in an officers councils last week, I received a text from my sister Tracy telling me she was going to be buying a video camera for our upcoming cruise in 4 weeks and change. I replied to her that I really wish I could get a new camera. Well after saying that, I began to conspire in my mind a way to be able to get said camera.

When I got home that afternoon, I jumped on the computer, and began looking at point and shoots. I found 2 that I liked, one Sony, and one Canon. The Canon didn't use a lithium ion battery pack but relied on AA batteries. I purchased the point and shoot that I was using with a battery pack to avoid changing batteries, so that was struck out. I then decided to see what a low end SLR camera would run and I was surprised to see for a legligible price increase I would be able to purchase the camera I have always wanted...a Canon EOS Rebel.
Well, I fired a quick text message to Elaine, explaining the financing of the camera and she told me, "sure, you're crazy LOL" I got on and placed my order.

The following weekend (this past weekend) was Youth Councils for our division and Elaine was going to be away for the whole weekend. I really wanted to do something special for my kids on Saturday. I didn't want to be around the TV, Computer all day, but instead I wanted to spend the whole day with them and give them a memorable day. I decided to take them to New York City for the day. We took the train from New Haven into Grand Central Terminal. We then hopped on the NYC Subway to Battery Park where we boarded a ferry to the Statue of Liberty. We spent a good couple of hours on Liberty Island and then headed uptown to 30 Rock (GE Building) to the Top of the Rock Observatory on the 67th-70th floors. We enjoyed wonderful views from 800 or so feet above midtown Manhattan.

Part of my madness was to use my camera to document all of this. Please check out some of the pictures...
In closing, I know it has been awhile since I have blogged, but I anticipate blogging more often in the days ahead.

4 Comments:

Blogger Dave said...

Nice camera...great color and sharpness. I want to upgrade but a video camera also interests me. I do not know which way to go at the moment. Oh to have the funds to both...LOL

Saturday, October 10, 2009 12:55:00 PM  
Blogger Evie said...

Nice photos. Dave and I have Canon DSLRs and we like them a lot. Here's another thing to consider: if Elaine ever wants a DSLR, if she gets a Canon, you two will be able to share lenses. That's what we do. If Dave hadn't already had a Canon and a couple of lenses, I might have gotten a Nikon.

Saturday, October 10, 2009 1:00:00 PM  
Blogger Dotti said...

Hey, Chris! I'm late reading this but will jump into the discussion. I've just ordered myself (for Christmas) a Canon T1i. After researching for a month, I decided on Canon b/c reviews rated their images superior to Nikon. I also originally intended to get a Canon XSi but found a T1i for only $100 +/- more and decided the upgrade was worth it. I did not get a kit but opted instead to get a Canon 28-108 lens instead for my first lens. Keep shooting and posting your pix and I'll send you some of mine once I get my new camera. Love to the family!

Thursday, December 03, 2009 1:34:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sale uggs
uggs on sale
ugg outlet


sale ugg
ugg australia
discount ugg
ugg boots

replica watches

basketball shoes

ugg boots
ugg on sale

Wednesday, December 16, 2009 3:34:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home