Friday, February 22, 2008

New Knight Rider

Everyone who knows me knows that I am truly a child of the 80's. Despite being born in the early half of the 70s, I love 80's stuff, 80s music, 80s movies, and yes, maybe even 80s fashion. One of my favorite TV shows of the 80s was Knight Rider.



As a kid, and as an adult I have loved cars, so when I heard about Knight Rider as a child, I thought, "thats my kind of show." Prior to watching the first incarnation of Knight Rider, the Pontiac Trans Am was one of my favorite cars. Add, computers, and a computer that talks, and I was in pre testosterone heaven. I even had the talking KITT toy car that I used to play with all the time.



When I heard that NBC was bringing back Knight Rider in 2008, I had mixed reactions. In the past, there have been attempted restarts but they were not good. When i saw the teaser trailer for this one, I was pretty excited. KITT is now a Mustang, and not just any Mustang, a Shelby Cobra GT 500 KR edition. Gee, I wonder what the KR stands for???? As you can see from the photo it is a very nice looking car. In the hood scoops, is a double red strobe light instead of the single strobe on the Trans Am. I just found another pic to show that.

James Daniels is no longer the voice of KITT. He is replaced by the very arrogant Val Kilmer, so given the character that KITT is, I think that is a good match. The driver of the car is the estranged son of Michael Knight who made a cameo appearance at the end. Man does the Hoff look old!!!!

The 2 hour back door pilot was enjoyable, at least for this fan of 25 years. I hope that this is picked up for the fall television season. I don't think Knight Rider can ever get old, and it is great to see a KITT in the 21st Century. The Mustang was a nice touch, but I did feel like I was watching a 2 hour long Ford commercial. The Mustang is the only Ford I would buy, but every single car in the show was a Ford Motor Company product, including and owned companies, (Volvo, etc). Every single commercial break had at least one Ford commercial.

All in all, I did enjoy it. It did have some campy moments, some hints at the past, but all in all it was a good couple of hours. I still have it on the Tivo, so I will probably watch it again soon.

4 Comments:

Blogger Evie said...

I used to enjoy Knight Rider. The Hoff 55 years old now, of course his age is starting to show! A friend of mine has a silver Shelby Cobra GT 500 GR (George Raush) that he drives to work in nice weather. It's his pride and joy.

Saturday, February 23, 2008 10:22:00 AM  
Blogger Dave said...

Thanks for the review. I thought of watching it and then forgot what night it was on. So I missed it.

Product placements in shows has become a growing (groaning?) business. One of the first to push this in a major way was BMW with James Bond movies.

Sunday, February 24, 2008 6:28:00 PM  
Blogger Christian said...

Uncle Dave, If you weren't out enjoying the French Quarter on Saturday night, you could have caught an encore! LOL

Hope you enjoy New Orleans. Hopefully the area is rebounding after Katrina.

Monday, February 25, 2008 9:48:00 PM  
Anonymous Kevyn Hagemann said...

Oh, wow. Val Kilmer? That's awesome! I think Mio has released a KITT Navigator. I wonder if it's Val Kilmer's voice. Haha! Anyway, about the car, there's a part of me that would want to just modify the old Trans-Am KITT and modify it to look a lot more modern. There's also this part of me that likes how the Ford Mustang proved to be a good replacement for the Trans-Am. The third part's saying that they should have used another car like, let's say, any cool race car type from Dodge.

Monday, April 18, 2011 4:17:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home