Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Experiences Flying

Uncle Dave over at Reflective Wanderings, has suggested a blog challenge. He writes and I quote...actually copy and paste.

Here is a second challenge, post a blog telling us a) which airport in the last ten years you have disliked the most and why, b) which airport or two in the last ten years you have liked the most and why, and lastly c) which was your worse flying experience. I have two but as they were shared with Evie, I will let Evie post hers choice and then I will post mine.
Airport I Disliked
I am a pretty easy/happy go lucky kind of guy in regards to air travel. I am a savy traveler, so I travel prepared. That said I will reflect my comments to the physical structure and layout of the airport or delays related to the same. Therefore my vote for worst airport is...
Philadelphia International Airport
I have had a few not so pleasant experiences at PHL. Most of which circulate around my connecting flight coming home from MCO (Orlando International for non air junkies). I was returning from CMA on one of my least favorite carriers US Airways. Upon landing we were immediately stuck in the line for takeoff. Something in mind found that hard to comprehend, but we could not get to the gate quickly due to this bottleneck. It seemed to take forever! Upon exiting the 737, I could not find too many decent places to eat. I settled for a cold soft pretzel. Upon finding my gate for my connecting flight to PWM (Portland International Jetport), and finding a cozy seat to sit and read a magazine, the gate agent came on and said we would have a gate change due to a faulty part on our aircraft. We were sent from Concourse E to Concourse A, a signifcant walk. Concourse A happened to be the international terminal and the time was about 8:00 PM. I say that for some air savy readers. That was the time all of the Trans-Atlantic red eyes were getting ready to depart. So we have about 6-8 heavies (wide body two aisle planes for you non air savy readers) getting ready to depart to London Gatwick, Manchester, London Heathrow, Paris DeGaulle. It was a madhouse! This of course was pre 9/11 so family and friends were also in the gate area to say goodbyes. In the middle of the chaos, I was just barely able to hear the announcement from the gate agent saying that flight %$@ (can't remember the flight #) to Portland would be departing from our original gate in the E concourse. I relayed the information to the others waiting and we again, made the long walk to our gate. Even the flight crew were scratching their heads as they walked alongside us.
That story was much longer than expected! However, I have two other stories about PHL that are not complimentary. We were getting ready for our cruise in 2006. We were at our gate at BDL (Bradley International Airport). The agent came on saying that our departure would be delayed due to a ground delay at the airport our plane was departing from to come to Bradley. That airport was non other than PHL! I knew it before she said the name!
Just this Thanksgiving, I picked up Dad and Tracy at PHL. They had arrived just prior to me exiting I-95 and travelling on the loop road. Tracy called me and said that they had no checked bags and would be curbside at arrivals waiting for me at Terminal F. Well i kept driving, first past Terminal A, then B, then C, D, E, but no F! So I waited at E and looked down a bit. They were traveling US Airways, so I was hanging out there, No Dad, and no Tracy. 2 more trips around the very long loop road, no Dad and no Tracy. So finally, I pulled over and asked one of Philly's finest about Terminal F. He said, there is no arrival area for Terminal F and that I would need to go around the loop road again...yes a 4th time and go to the departures area, and that is where I would find Dad and Tracy. I told him with a laugh, "I hate this airport and avoid it like the plague when I travelled." He agreed with me and we wished each other a Happy Thanksgiving. One more trip around the loop road, and there was Dad and Tracy, at Terminal F in the departure area despite being an arrival!
Well I will continue this challenge tomorow night or the next night as I have talked long enough! Enjoy reading.

2 Comments:

Blogger Dave said...

Thanks for the post. Philadelphia is one airport that I have yet to experience...and one which is not on the top of my list.

Thursday, April 17, 2008 9:51:00 PM  
Blogger Evie said...

Philadelphia is not one of my favorite airports either. It's especially nasty when one has to scurry between terminals. As I noted on Dave's blog, however, security in Los Angeles is dreadful and Dulles can be painful too.

Sunday, April 20, 2008 9:16:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home