Friday, December 30, 2005

Movies of 2005

All of the so called critics are saying that 2005 was disappointing year for movies. If you know me well, you will know that I am a movie buff and can quote many lines from my favorite movies.

So as I sit here at my office passing out payroll checks to my kettle workers, I thought of blogging. I was just reading about some movies when the topic of movies popped into my head.

I looked forward to several movies this year and I will give my review of them in ascending order.

The Dukes of Hazzard
I was really looking forward to this movie, but I was very disappointed in it. Having grown up watching the original series, I couldn't wait to see a modern day remake. When my mom would pick me up from school, I would slide into the window of her camaro pretending I was Bo Duke.

I was immediately disappointed upon seeing the adult theming very early on as well as the profanity. One thing that made the original Dukes special was that it truly was family entertainment. As a 5-6 year old my parents had no problem letting me watch the original. I don't think I would let my kids watch this.

Big Disappointment! *

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
This is another remake that I was very much looking forward to. I was impressed with it, but the jury is still out whether or not I like it as much as the original. Johnny Depp is perhaps the most versatile actor in Hollywood today, and he never ceases to amaze.

I would give this movie **1/2.

Stars Wars Episode III
It can truly be said that this movie was 28 years in the making. Ever since the character of Darth Vader was introduced in 1977, America and the world have had a fascination with him.

I went to see this move a couple of times in the theater, and actually nearly fell asleep the 2nd time. It was okay, and was needed to complete the story arc, but Star Wars creator George Lucas relied too much on special effects. However, seeing Anakin Skywalker become Darth Vader was truly a treat and made up for the less than perfect story.

I rate this one ***.

Mr. & Mrs. Smith
This is a movie that intrigued me. I love the action genre, and I think Angelina Jolie is just great. I enjoyed this movie for non stop action and the white hot chemistry between the two lead actors.

This movie has it all and is enjoyable for both men and women. It has Brad Pitt for women to enjoy and has the all American babe Angelina Jolie for the men to enjoy.

I would rate this ***1/2.

Batman Begins
I went into this movie not really knowing what to expect. I had seen all of the other Batman movies and some were good, others not so good. I was immediately blown away by this one! After sitting in the theater watching this, I came out saying that was the best movie I had seen in a long time. The story was well developed, the casting was good. Christian Bale played a great Bruce Wayne/Batman. He portrayed conflicted superhero, not really know what his place was.

The ending was a rush, and even set it up for a sequel by when Lt. Gordon flashed a card that a new criminal was leaving at the scene of his crimes...the card...the Joker!

I rate this one ****.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you seen the latest Harry Potter movie, or The Chronicles of Narnia? Uncle Dave and I have not seen them yet, but Jonathan and Joshua have. I've seen the first three Harry Potters and they are all good. Jonathan and Joshua assure me that #4 is just as good. They also enjoyed The Chronicles of Narnia.

Both of these book series are also excellent. The Chronicles of Narnia is still one of my favorites. This series would make a great foundation for a corps retreat weekend. It's not just for kids, really!

Saturday, December 31, 2005 3:51:00 PM  
Blogger Christian said...

I have not yet seen Narnia. I want to just haven't had much time and it might be a little intense for our kids.

I have never got into the Harry Potter movies, but Tracy and my mom love them. My mom has even read the books!

Someday soon, I will have to check out Narnia, maybe at Officer's Retreat free time next week.

Saturday, December 31, 2005 9:52:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home