Friday, February 10, 2006

Yankees Invade Connecticut


You have heard of the story "A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court", today, current and former players of the New York Yankees came to visit in Connecticut. This evening at Mohegan Sun in Montville, just 4 miles from my home, there is a charity roast to former New York Yankee pitcher and Pitching Coach Mel Stottlemyre.

I heard that this was happening on Sports Radio WFAN early in the week. The Mike and the Mad Dog Show would be broadcast live from Mohegan Sun Friday afternoon (today). I checked my calendar, and had nothing, so I took the day off and went to Mohegan Sun to see the excitement. I got there just before noon and the venue was not open yet, so I grabbed lunch in the Food Court. I returned to the Wolf's Den, and waited in line for the next 30 minutes until the doors opened. It was great to stand in line and talk to other Yankee fans about the upcoming season.

Soon Mike Francessa came in and everyone cheered. Christopher "Mad Dog" Russo is on vacation at Walt Disney World with his family. When 1:00 rolled on the music started, and the guest of honor Mel Stottlemyre took the mic with Mike. He had a lot of great things to say, and he set the stage for others to follow including Don Zimmer, Sparky Lyle, Lee Mazzilli, Moose Skowron, Hank Bauer, Dennis Eckersley, Gene "Stick" Michael, Joe Pepitone, and current manger Joe Torre. It was a very enjoyable five hours. I felt like I was in baseball history class! The time just flew by! There were some emotional moments, followed by some laugh out loud moments. The latter being shared by Moose, Bauer and Pepitone. I got an autograph and picture taken with Joe Pepitone. (See above)

Joe Torre was the last to come on. He was stuck in traffic on I-95! He had some great things to share and the excitement is clearly building toward Spring Training and Opening Day. He is excited to have a great coaching staff, but is concerned on how he is going to set the batting order. He specifically mentioned, the 3,4,5,6 batters. He mentioned he has been in touch with Don Mattingly to pound it out. He wants to break up the righty and lefties.

What was great about this was how close everyone was to the stars! It was a very close setting. It was a great day to live close to the Mohegan Sun Resort.

This is going to be a great baseball season and today, my love for the Yankees grew even more!

Go Yanks! Bring World Chamionship #27 back to New York this year!

See my pictures from the day at the following link.

http://community.webshots.com/album/547430583EGwHoQ

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great pics. Pepitone looks like a walking advertisement for men's hair dye!

Pitchers and catchers report on Thursday! Opening Day--April 3rd. First game experience--April 18th! Can hardly wait!

Let's Go YANKEES! Let's go YANKEES!

Saturday, February 11, 2006 6:42:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I first thought that the photo was of Joe "Willie" Namath, but what does he have to do with the Yankees? Then again, I am a longsuffering Reds' fan.

Monday, February 20, 2006 7:47:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chris,

Wow, it's been awhile since I've visited. Great photo of you and Pepitone. He was my favorite player when I was little. I even had a doll named Joe Pepitone! One of the few dolls I ever had.

Here in the DC area we're all holding our breath hoping the city council doesn't scare away the Nationals. The team and the city are caught in some deadlock and the city is about to blow it. Well, they almost blew it when the team was looking at moving here. Washington DC city politics are akin to the governance of third-world countries.

Take care.
Aunt Evie

Tuesday, February 21, 2006 8:39:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home