Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Atari Flashback 2.0

One of my Christmas gifts was the newly released Atari Flashback 2.0. Many of us, that are my age and older can probably remember the old Atari 2600 game system. I remember the first time I played one. I was 6 or so years old, and My Aunt Evie and Uncle Dave brought one home from college. I remember playing Space Invaders with Uncle Dave for hours that night! My thumb was sore from hitting the fire button.

Well, Atari decided to put 40 games on a console that has a striking resemblance to the original Atari 2600 complete with the original joysticks and fake wood panel. I thought this would be a great thing to get due to the fact that the games are easy enough for my kids to be able to enjoy.

This system definitely brings back the memories! Remember the game Combat? You could either be a tank, or airplane and your only objective is to "kill" your opponents as many times as possible. This doesn't show the blood and guts of today's games, just the tank or plane spinning wildly out of control. It also has classics such as Asteroids, Missile Command, Pong, and Centipede to name a few.

Samantha's favorite game is Pitfall. I remember Pitfall being huge when I was a kid. It is a fun game and she is getting quite good at it for a 5 year old.

It is a great device and if you grew up on Atari, and have $30 to spare, check it out.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't remember what we did with that old Atari set. The last I knew it was somewhere in Canada. I loved playing Space Invaders. Pac Man was another favorite.

Your cousins get a kick out of the fact that Pong was such a hit 30 years ago. A lot of places had Pong games standing alongside the pinball machines (remember them?). My friends and I would play that game (with its incredibly boring, simple graphics!!) for hours on end. Electronic entertainment has come a long way since then but those old games were a lot of fun.

Wednesday, January 04, 2006 3:33:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home