Saturday, December 31, 2005

New Year's Eve Memories

Being in The Salvation Army, I have had many memories of New Year's Eve and the annual Watchnight Services.

My first recollection is from about 28-29 years ago when I was pushing a car around the floor in the Harrisburg corps and despite warning from mom, dad, grandma and grandpa, split my head open when I lost control and hit a concrete pillar. I remember my grandpa jumping up swooping me into his arms and taking me to get cleaned up. I don't recall if he made it to his 2nd meeting of the night as he and my mom took me to the emergency room where I was given butterfly sutures. I still have the scar on my head. My mom can find it!

The greatest New Year's memory happened a few years later. I was probably 6-7 years old. Our bathroom in our house lock used to stick and sometimes whoever was in it, would get locked in for a short time. Usually just a few seconds.

Well the entire family was gathered at the house for the holidays. We were getting ready for the Watchnight service when we heard a ruckus in the bathroom. Grandpa was locked in. My cousin and I were playing with all of our new toys, everyone else was wondering what was going to happen. Grandma was nervous that we would all be late for the services. Everyone else was laughing hysterically. Fortunately, my Uncle Steve is a fairly handy guy and was able to find the tools in the house, pass them under the door, and give my grandpa directions on how to take the door of the hinges.

This went on for an hour or so, and the Camuti house was in stitches! It was the funniest thing to happen in a long time!

Next Christmas, my Aunt Dot and Uncle Steve gave my Grandpa a Bathroom survival kit that included the necessary tools, Oreo cookies and other items needed to make a long stay in the bathroom more pleasurable.

Memories are great, particularly when shared with loved ones and family.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually, when you split your head open...Dad was home sick. And your Grandfather did go back for the second meeting and came to get us at the ER afterwards...Happy Birthday Son!

Sunday, January 01, 2006 1:58:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home