Friday, February 03, 2006

Battlestar Galactica

I don't watch too much "regular" television. I do watch the news, and I channel surf at night hoping to find a favorite movie on one of the cable networks, but I don't have too many regular shows that I watch.

However, over the last couple of years, I have really enjoyed the "re-imagined" Battlestar Galactica. When I was just a little kid in the late 70's, I watched the show of the same name that was on. That featured Lorne Greene as Commander Adama, Richard Hatch (not Survivor Richard Hatch) as Captain Apollo, and Dirk Benedict (Faceman off the A-Team) as Lieutenant Starbuck. This show was enjoyable, and I do occasionally pop in the the old VHS copies that I have of the pilot and a few other episodes, but it was pure camp.

The new series is dark, scientifically it is much more realistic. Edward James Olmos stars as Admiral William Adama(he just got promoted). He is a typical gritty lifetime military man. He portrays strength, but struggles with his relationship with his son, Captain Lee Adama.

The critics have hailed this show as one of the best on television. It is on each Friday night at 10:00 PM the Sci-Fi channel, and if by some odd chance I miss it, I stay up to 1:00 am to catch the west coast broadcast.

It is more drama than Sci-fi. The characters are very real and very vulnerable. A robotic society is out to exterminate all humans with a genocidal approach. It started with a nuclear attack on the home planets, and now, the Battlestars Galactica and Pegasus lead the rag tag fleet towards a new home...a planet known as Earth.

Check it out! It is good tv!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chris,

We are Battlestar Galactica fans too. We watch most Friday nights and we've started buying the DVDs. It is a pretty good show.

Our family is really into Star Trek. The boys can name specific episodes and tell you which season a show is from just by identifying the little differences in the uniforms from year to year.

Anyway, since Star Trek is not running right now, the family has to get is science fiction fix from Battlestar Galactica. It's not as much fun as the original series was, but it's engaging.

Aunt Evie

Tuesday, February 21, 2006 8:51:00 AM  
Blogger Christian said...

What did you guys think of the season 2 finale??

I got into Star Trek a little late in the game so to speak. I got mono my junior year of high school. One night while getting ready to eat dinner, I was talking to my mom in the kitchen, and yes, we had a tv in there. Well, the Best of Both Worlds was on where the Enterprise separated. I thought that was soooo cool, so I got hooked. The episode was probably one of the best anyway, so it was a good hook. The next week, Star Trek TNG went into syndication so I was able to watch it every night while I recovered from mono.

Sunday, March 19, 2006 9:11:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home