Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Homiletical Symposium Day One

Yesterday was the first official day of the Homiletical Symposium and so far I think all is going well. There are only six of us here for the symposium, so there is an emphasis on the small group dynamic. There is plenty of time built in for research and study for our final paper that will be due next month. The topic of that paper is "The Theology of My Preaching." I have begun to think about a rough outline for my paper, and should have something in writing in the next day or so.

One of the things that I am excited about is to sit in some "real" seminary classes. I believe we get to sit in on 3 or 4. I don't have my schedule open as I type this! Two of the professors are literally world renowned, so it should be quite a treat. Dr. Demeray and Dr. Kalas are both highly regarded in the Methodist community, so we are in for a good time.

In 45 minutes, I have to go to the preaching chapel and preach to the red light. At 9:30 it is my turn to be video taped preaching. I am hoping that it goes well because I enjoy having an audience to look at, and make frequent eye contact. I do have a good imagination, so that should help!

Today is mostly a day dedicated to research, so I expect it to go by rather slowly. I am not much of a student, so I will really have to force myself to go to the library and take advantage of what the ATS library has to offer.

Well, I am off to break now. I will update again tomorrow.

6 Comments:

Blogger Evie said...

Dr. Demaray was one of Uncle Dave's favorite professors. I think we used one of his books for a homiletics course when we were in training college in Toronto. He knows his stuff.

Tuesday, February 13, 2007 9:49:00 AM  
Blogger Christian said...

Dr. Demeray is a great professor. We sat in on his class today, and it was a great time.

There are a couple of people here who know you rather well. One was on the Gospel team with you and another said that you were "teens together"

Thursday, February 15, 2007 4:19:00 PM  
Blogger Evie said...

Christian - are you going to tell me who they are?

Friday, February 16, 2007 2:10:00 PM  
Blogger Christian said...

Colin DeVault, and Tim Sheehan...I think I have his last name spelled right. He says he was on the gospel team with you.

Saturday, February 17, 2007 12:11:00 AM  
Blogger Evie said...

Christian, actually they both were on the Gospel Team with me. Tim was on it my first year, Colin was on it my second year. Say hello to them for me. We also hung around together at music camps, youth councils, etc.

I can't get over how small The Salvation Army world is. Everywhere we've lived, we've run into people who know our family somehow. A couple of retired officers in the DC area remember you GREAT-grandfather Camuti from Star Lake!

Saturday, February 17, 2007 11:24:00 AM  
Blogger Christian said...

I ran into that quite often in Old Orchard Beach. In fact, shortly after Samantha was born, I excused myself during a camp meeting to change a diaper. I went to the corps building and when I was done, stood in the lobby with a few "old timers." These men all knew Papa ( your grandfather) from Star Lake. They could not get over that Samantha was his great-great grand daughter. They were feeling quite old to say the least.

Saturday, February 17, 2007 4:49:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home