Saturday, February 17, 2007

Homiletical Sympsium Days 4 & 5

Thursday was a good day at the Symposium. In the morning we were blessed by Dr. Ellsworth Kalas' preaching class. He shared 9 convictions of Preaching. They are as follows.

1. Be a Biblical Preacher
2. Be a creative Preacher
3. Find the Plot
4. See the human side
5. Don't lose the plot
6. Keep the frequent fliers alert
7. Don't waste words
8. Little Things matter

As I review my notes, I must have been distracted, and forgot to copy the 9th conviction! I will have to email my fellow classmates for the ninth.

After Dr. Kalas' class we went to chapel and were blessed by Rev. Larry Eddings of the Wind of the Spirit ministries. He spoke on healing and forgiveness and it was very moving and liberating.

Following lunch, we enjoyed Dr. Don Demaray's class. Dr. Demaray has been at Asbury since the 1950's and is pretty much a homiletical genius! He has a vast mind and the Holy Spirit revealed Himself in the class.

The rest of the afternoon was free and we were able to study and go to the library. Following dinner we had another great workshop with Dr. Mike Pasquarello. It was a question and answer time once again and some critical issues came out regarding mission and the Army's identity.

On Friday, we were honored to be invited to Dr. Demaray's home for tea and to see his vast library. His library had more books than I have ever seen in a private home! I mentioned to him that one of my uncles was a student of his, and yes Uncle Dave he remembers you and sends his regards. I purchased a book off him and had him sign it for me.

We enjoyed a luncheon and then I was driven to the airport. There is not much to do in Lexington Blue Grass Airport for 2 hours, so a few of us found a cafe/pub, grabbed a soda and enjoyed each other's fellowship for our remaining time together. Shortly thereafter, I boarded a CRJ and we were wheels up to Charlotte. It was great to see the Smoky Mountains from 27,000 ft. They were quite impressive even from that altitude. We landed in Charlotte, grabbed dinner at Chili's and waited to board our 757 to Hartford. We were wheels up about 20 minutes late due to ground traffic, but once airborne it was a nice flight up the east coast over Washington, Baltimore, Wilmington, and New York. Flying over those cities at night is really something.

The experience of the symposium was a very positive one. I plan to apply what was learned and build on my knowledge of preaching.

3 Comments:

Blogger Evie said...

I'm glad your symposium went well. I'm sure your family is glad to see you again.

I'm glad you had a clear night for flying up the eastern seaboard. It really is a great experience to see all those lights.

Sunday, February 18, 2007 6:02:00 PM  
Blogger Christian said...

I forgot to include Philadelphia in the cities I saw from 37,000 feet.

Sunday, February 18, 2007 7:22:00 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

I have been to Demary's home and library several of times. I loved how he had different areas...one for writing, a project table, a reading/visiting area. That part of the home was designed by him to be a library....the cement floor is reinforced to carry the weight, and so are the studs.

Sunday, February 18, 2007 8:07:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home