Friday, April 18, 2008

Favorite Airport

In keeping with Uncle Dave's blog challenge, and because my last post went rather long, I am continuing the challenge with a separate post.


I have traveled through or from 24 airports in the US, Canada, and Caribbean. I have not really been able to experience many airports abroad, so my comments reflect the airports listed on my comments on Uncle Dave's Blog. I will list those airports now.


Newark (Liberty) Int'l, NJ

Buffalo Niagara Int'l Airport, NY

Toronto (Peterson) Int'l Airport

Rochester Int'l Airport, NY

Pittsburgh Int'l Airport (Old one)

Lexington(Blue Grass Field) KY

Pittsburgh, Int'l Airport (New)

Atlanta (Hartsfield) Int'l, GA

San Juan (Luis Munoz Marin), PR

Chicago (O'Hare), IL

New York, LaGuardia

Cleveland (Hopkins Int'l), OH

Portland Int'l Jetport, Maine

Providence (T.F. Green), RI

Detroit (Wayne County, MI

Erie Int'l (Tom Ridge), PA

Orlando Int'l, FL

Philadelphia Int'l, PA

Cincinati,(Erlanger, KY)

Tampa Int'l, FL

Boston (Logan Int'l)

Sanford Regional, Maine

Hartford (Bradley Int'l) Windsor Locks, CT

Charlotte (Douglas), NC


Of those I would like to announce that my favorite airport for a variety reasons is.


Orlando International Airport (MCO)


In addition to being the gateway for awesome vacations that commenced from central Florida and the Space Coast, Orlando International is a sprawling modern facility that is lovely. It features 4 terminals connected to the main central terminal via automated peoplemovers. Upon landing and seeing the beautifully green Florida landscape on approach, the feel of the Terminal's air conditioning is a reminder that you are in Florida. The concourses are clean and broad. Upon embarkation on the automated Bombardier people movers, one is able to see the network of ponds surrounded by palms and landscaping. The Disney Store, Universal Store, and Sea World Store greet you as you disembark the people movers in the central terminal. It is a very easy airport to navigate, and have never had a problem as it relates to baggage, ground transportation or ticketing.


I must however, give an honorable to the following airport.


Bradley International Airport, Windsor Locks, CT

Honorable Mention


I have only had the opportunity to fly out of BDL on two occasions, once for vacation and once for business. Both times were totally painless. The airport is a "large small" airport. I realize that may not make much sense, but the airport provides direct flights to most Florida cities, Toronto, Los Angeles, Phoenix, Denver, and all of the other "standard" airline hubs. In addition, Northwest flies a trans Atlantic flight to Amsterdam Schirpol Airport with a daily 757.


I have never had to wait to check in. Security lines are never present, and the TSA workers are friendly. I even got into a Yankees/Red Sox debate with a few.


Parking is very reasonable. I parked for 8 days and it only cost me $42. The bus service was efficient and fast to and from the terminal to the satellite parking.


Low Cost Carriers Southwest and Frontier are present and Southwest has a significant presence.


So there you have it. My favorite airport/s.


1 Comments:

Blogger Evie said...

Surprisingly enough, I've never had much difficulty at Chicago O'Hare, large as it is. I had a long layover there once, but at least there were plenty of restaurants and shops to keep me busy.

I like the little airport in Cedar Rapids. The food sucks (really badly) but the place is so small that it's impossible to get lost - even I can navigate it!

Sunday, April 20, 2008 9:20:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home